Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Decisions I need to Make... Proposed Series UNIQUES



I started out wanting to do dolls with disabilities like the microchephalics that appeared in Freaks or maybe more common disabilities like cerebral palsy. No, not for the shock value.

I have cerebral palsy... not a severe case though. But I've my problems with "normal" people and their preconceived notions of what is beautiful. I guess I find microchephalics interesting and in their own way beautiful. I chickened out when I got such horrified responses when I shared my first sketches for my proposed series of UNIQUES.
I got a lot of " You're making fun of them", or "No one would want to own something that looked like one of "those" people! "

So since I want to make my living as an artist, I came up with a compromise. I created a series of magical animals and mythological creatures. The Hex Cat and the Flaming Chihuahuas of the Apocalypse pictured here are recognizable as domestic pets and the magical aspect of their back stories takes the curse off the physical differences they have. At least for most people. I still run into the occasional person who gets upset by my sculpts.

I'm bringing this up now because the urge to create the original series of figures overwhelmed me the other day. As much as I love the fantasy figures I make now.....I want to do more personal pieces too. It's like my muse is tapping me on the shoulder and reminding me that it's time to start adding some more serious work to my repertoire.

10 comments:

tattytiara said...

Big love from me and my shop's muse, supervisor, and mascot Cynthia the One and a Half Eyed Supercat! We obviously couldn't be more in agreement.

Anonymous said...

Fear comes in many forms and often, people fear those whom they don't understand. I think the series is a wonderful idea.

Ikow Designs said...

Laura, I think you should follow your heart (and your muse). The right people will be drawn to your work, so don't worry about or listen to the others who don't understand what you're doing or why you're doing it.

You are a very talented lady, so go in the direction your thoughts lead you.

Laura Bartlett said...

thank you everybody. I knew in my heart these dolls would have to be done. I was just being a baby.

My name is Julia :-) said...

Changing the understanding of what constitutes beauty is a kind & noble thing, how could your ideas be wrong? This vision sounds lovely to me.

T.Allen said...

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. — Gandhi.

Changing the face of beauty or even normal and acceptable is a tough job but someone has got to do it. Have at it! Best.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, do I LOVE your blog!

Being an artist, I just love the surreal, unusual, unique and strange.

I'll be back for sure!

I'm adding you to my blog, if you'd rather I didn't, just let me know.

:-)

Laura Bartlett said...

Diane, PLease feel free to add me to your blog. I write it to share with everybody.

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I think your animals are ADORABLE, and I probably would have loved your other dolls too, I like the unusual and unique. I'd love to see them, do you have pictures of them online?

OH, I'm giving away a print of today's character, if you'd like to take a guess at my 'question' and see if you get it right. Come on over to the blog and see. :-)

Hugs,
Diana

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope you do listen to your muse's shoulder tapping. I'm sure that at some point in our past we've discussed this, so you probably know my feelings already!