The headless winged figure I wrote about a few weeks ago finally decided who she is.
I was trying to decide what to do for a Shakespearean Challenge that one of
my doll groups is hosting.
I was going to do a new version of Ophelia or maybe Livia from Titus Andronicus, but I watched a version of A Midsummer's Night Dream the other afternoon.
Now the frilly tiny sweet Victorian fairies are just adorable, but to me real fairies seem more earthy and temperamental..... if not down right nasty if their desires are thwarted.
My Titania is regal and pretty, but more sinister and more animal than human. I realize she has no arms, but I was thinking fairies would be able to transform themselves to fit the situation.
If Oberon could give Puck a donkey head, I don't see how transforming wings into arms when necessary would be difficult.
Titania is in many ways an experiment for me. She's my first freestanding figure built over a hidden base. The interior of her wings are appliqued and beaded pieces of lace. Both experiments were successful and I intend to create more freestanding figures.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
I started a book sometime ago on how to create a half doll like my blue and green creation Nerina.
Well, I've gotten the sections on how to make a metal armature for a half doll done.
Yesterday I worked on photos on how to cover the armature with yarn and batting. I am getting the hang of photographing as I go. I found it kind of frustrating at first. Today I'm working on pictures of sewing the first layer of fabric to the batted armature.
Yes, all these are random photos....I'm not giving away this process for free ......:)
Eventually these steps will give you a doll that looks something like Nerina. I 'm enjoying this writing exercise, but I am still nervous my written directions will be difficult to follow.
But I'll never know if I can do this if I don't try. If everything goes well, I should be done soon.:)