Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Orchid came back

Last summer a young feral cat, who was at least part siamese, came by regularly for food. He or she ran with a wild group of cats in our area. I got to know her better and called her Orchid. She had lovely lavender eyes and a funny tuft of fur on her head that seemed to go the wrong way. She was always sickly and I wanted to tame her down and take her in with the rest of my rescues.

I always looked forward to my morning visits with her. After breakfast on the porch, she'd play with her felt mouse and chatter to me. When I finally felt she was tame enough to be boxed, I made a vet appointment and waited for the next morning to come. Orchid never showed up.

Living here in the Mojave Desert, I know that feral cats are food for many predators, but I had hoped she'd be round 1 more day. I felt so guilty.

About 4 weeks later, I heard a familiar meow out on the porch. Grabbing a food bowl, I rushed out to see Orchid pacing around the porch. I put the food bowl down and reached out to pet her......

And put my hand right through her.

I've seen ghosts since I was a little girl, so seeing Orchid just made me sad. She's visited me periodically since late last summer. The last time I saw her 4 months ago, I asked her to let go and come back to me as a live cat. She cocked her tiny head at me and squeezed her lavender eyes shut. I 've always thought of this as a cat smile.

About 3 months ago a black feral cat gave birth to 5 black kittens and one siamese kitten with lavender eyes and a funny tuft on the top of his head on my back porch. I'm still looking for homes for 4 of the black ones if any one is interested.

But since I promised her, Orchid/ Rorschach or Rory lives with me.


8 comments:

Blackfeatherfarm said...

Wow, super {natural} post ! I have read animal ghost stories, and find them intriguing to say the least. Nothing is stranger than the truth.
Bless you for saving the kittens, I have 6 rescue dogs, people who do animal rescue are my favorite people.
Love this post, her name, and the mystic tale she is part of.

Anonymous said...

That story just gave me the shivers, but in a good way!
I'm so glad that she came back to you!

plasticpumpkin said...

Lovely story. She loved you and knew she could trust you, so she returned to check on you.

Have you seen her again since the Siamese kitten was born?

Laura Bartlett said...

No, I've not seen Orchid's ghost since Rory moved into my house.

UniqueNurseGranny said...

What a wonderful experience.May the two of you have a good life together.You are fortunate.

Alicia said...

beautiful story and so glad Orchid(2) has found a loving home with you! Is that her in the picture? What a gorgeous cat!

Laura Bartlett said...

Yes, That's the reincarnated Orchid. Except now she's a he named Rory.:)

Joy De Vivre Design said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing it! We had a border collie for 16 years when I was living with my parents. She died in 2005 and I cried for weeks, still do when I see a border collie out somewhere. Last summer I had the most vivid dream and I had never dreamed of her before. In my dream my Tina was running around the house and was in perfect health again. The next morning I was so sad, because I knew I would never see her again. My mom called and shocked me when she reminded me that it was the anniversary of Tina's death. I had no idea of the exact date and felt that it may have been her way to tell me she is ok now.